20 May 2010

Let the Cross Cultural Experience Begin!

21 college students from Memphis arrived a couple days ago.  Their summer in Brazil is called the CCP (Cross Cultural Project).  The students' priorities throughout their time in Brazil are to experience Brazilian culture, seek to better understand the common world views among the students here, facilitate weekly discussion groups, and love people. 

The Americans help our team tremendously with our ministry to college students by developing relationships with Brazilians.  Everyone wants to get to know the Americans!  Mark and I are helping to translate a little when we're not in class.  It's definitely been a needed confidence booster for us to be able to help people that are a couple steps behind us!  Tonight will be our first discussion group.  The theme for the summer is "What moves you?" 
     
I met a freshman on campus a couple days ago, 30 seconds after meeting me she asked if she could have the t-shirt I was wearing.  The verdict is still out on whether or not this is a normal response after being introduced to an American... we think no.  However, I did manage to trade my old highschool t-shirt for a Brazil jersey.  I'm convinced I got the better end of the deal because now I have something to wear during the World Cup! 

CCP from Memphis

No comments:

Post a Comment