08 March 2010

What Difference Does it Make?

It's been fun (right now) for me to learn a few of the differences between Brasilian and American culture.  So I thought I would offer some free rookie advice!

  • Don't flush toilet paper (There are trash cans next to the toilet for a reason.  I know, it's gross).
  • Don't touch or adjust the shower head, you'll shock yourself.  (I learned this from personal experience.  The shower heads heat the water.  For me, I kind of like it because I think it's easier to operate than american showers.  Strong pressure = cold water and little pressure = warmer water).
  • The thumbs up hand motion apparently means a number of good things like "Go ahead" or "I'm good" or "Don't worry" or "It's a deal."  I'm sure there are other meanings, but this is what I've seen so far.
  • Slamming car doors is a no-no.  Since the cars here are smaller, foreigners (mainly Americans) annoy Brasilians when they slam car doors.  Who knew?
  • On elevators, 'P' is the ground level (not parking lot) and 'G' is the garage (not ground level).
  • Complementary coffee is offered at most restaurants, which is nice.  The only problem is they serve it in little, plastic medicine cups.  Basically, it's like half a sip of strong coffee.  When I've talked to Brasilians about this they think it's funny I desire more since it's so strong.  I don't think they understand the coffee culture I'm used to!
  • You should pay "car watchers" when you park.  Men assign themselves to a street and appoint themselves Car Watcher expecting payment in exchange for their services.  If you don't pay them, I guess they won't "watch" or protect your car against thieves, and if you do pay them, there's no guarantee they will do anything in the event of a break-in.
  • You should greet as many people as you can with a kiss and hug when you arrive at a party or restaurant and say "Tudo bem?" (two-dew bayn) the response, "Tudo bom" (two-dew bomb).  This means something like "All well?" and then "All good."  When you leave, you should also acknowledge, with a hug or head nod, as many people as you can.  One word, overwhelming!

    I could go on and on!  We're trying to soak it all in and enjoy this new experience.  The team here has been very helpful.  We feel like we're adjusting, slowly.  :)



    This particular box of cereal cost 9 dollars!  What are we to do?



    View from our temporary apartment



    3 comments:

    1. I love that the cereal box says "Cereal Radical"...I guess there are people in this world that really like Co Co Puffs. Hope all is Well. We missed you last night at Bible Study Mark. God Bless.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I love your blog! And I love that I can now picture what you see when you look out your window (at least from your temporary apartment). We're praying for you!

      ReplyDelete
    3. I remember the first time I tried to adjust the shower head. Needless to say, I didn't try again much after that!

      ReplyDelete