04 March 2010

Travel Mercies

Although flying out of Birmingham didn't happen the day we expected (due to wintery weather cancelations), we are happy to announce we actually arrived in our new city Thursday afternoon!


Mark introduced me to listening to Podcasts by a pastor in Seattle, Washington named Mark Driscoll a couple years ago.  My Mark really likes him, and so do I.  Well, we were walking around the Atlanta airport, trying to pass the time, and I see a guy with his wife that look very familiar.  Sure enough, it was Mark Driscoll!  We ended up introducing ourselves and I pulled the I'll-never-see-this-person-again card and took a picture of both Marks.


So, you can probably imagine how chaotic life has been for us as we've been packing and getting ready to move.  I had a typical Michelle moment on the flight from Atlanta to Sao Paulo.  As we carefully read our Customs and Immigration forms, I saw a phrase that triggered a panic attack - "narcotics prohibited."  I realized, at that moment, I hadn't sorted through my medicine bag before we packed.  I had two bottles of Lortab and Percocet inside my checked luggage!  I don't know the Brasilian way, so I'm thinking "What if they kick me out of the country, or fine me, or arrest me!"  All that to say, I found myself in the Sao Paulo airport bathroom secretively flushing pills down the toilet.  Who does that?  Thankfully we made it through customs and, after all that trouble, they never checked our luggage!


Our initiation to Brasil was complete when we drove past the president of Brasil, President Lula, on our way from the airport into the city!  Lula was in Belo Horizonte today celebrating the completion of a huge government building close to the airport.


Mark & Mark in ATL
Click here to see more from Mark Driscoll

Outskirts of Belo

6 comments:

  1. We are so glad you all arrived safely in Brasil! (What happens if we spell it the English way with a "z"?) Brasil looks amazing! I checked out the link to Mark Driscoll's church, and interestingly, he's wearing the exact same shirt in the video as in your picture. I guess that's how you recognized him so easily. We are praying for you.

    -Patrick and Laren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, my star pupil! Great first post. We are glad you arrived safely and look forward to hearing how things go as you guys get settled in. Anytime I get sad about you being far away I'll just cheer myself up by picturing that customs scene!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news!!! Get settled and then keep us informed.

    God bless your week!!

    John P.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle, you make me laugh! I would have felt the same way in the airport except I probably would have been in tears turning myself in somewhere before thinking of something more logical. So glad that you and Mark arrived safely. We missed you last night and are praying for you. Looking forward to following your blog!
    Ashley Frohock

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the kind words everybody! It is SO comforting and fun to hear from people that know us...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! I'm so glad things seem to be going so well! I really enjoyed reading the blog. We are praying for you both, and can't wait to hear more!
    julie lee

    ReplyDelete